Finding time to prioritize research endeavours amidst seeing patients is difficult, but important. At various stages in her career, Dr. Beach has had the fortune of collaborating with colleagues to help advance medical research.
Look below for a round-up of Dr. Beach’s peer-reviewed publications.
- Bellicoso E, Quick SO, Ayoo KO, Beach RA, Joseph M, Dahlke E. Diversity in Dermatology? An Assessment of Undergraduate Medical Education. J Cutan Med Surg. 2021 Apr 13:12034754211007430. doi: 10.1177/12034754211007430. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33849302
- Beach RA, McDonald KA, Barrett BM, Abdel-Qadir H. Side Effects of Low Dose Oral Minoxidil for Treating Alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Dec 22: S0190-9622(20)33229-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2020.12.038. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33359594
- McDonald KA, Shelley AJ, Maliyar K, Abdalla T, Beach RA, Beecker J. Hair pull test: A clinical update for patients with Asian- and Afro-textured hair. .J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Dec 14: S0190-9622(20)33106-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2020.11.057. Online ahead of print
- Beach RA, McDonald KA, Barrett BM Tolerated, Effective, Successful: Low Dose Oral Minoxidil for Treating Alopecia, A 3-Year North American Retrospective Case Series. .J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Oct 21:S0190-9622(20)32844-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2020.10.032. Online ahead of print
- Ngwanya RM, Adeola HA, Beach RA, Gantsho N, Walker CL, Pillay K, Prokopetz R, Gumedze F, Reliability of Histopathology for the Early Recognition of Fibrosis in Traction Alopecia: Correlation with Clinical Severity. Dermatopathology (Basel). 2019 Jun 26;6(2):170-181. PMID: 31700859.
- Deeb M, Beach RA, Kim S. Onychomadesis following hand, foot, and mouth disease in a pregnant woman: A case report. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. 2019 May 2;7. PMID: 31080597.
- Qin Y, Beach RA. Visual Dermatology: Beyond Bruising: Cupping in a North American Context. J Cutan Med Surg. 2019 May/Jun;23(3):331. PMID: 31070100.
- Qin, Y. Beach RA. Twenty years without treatment: A presentation of arthritis mutilans with psoriasis. J Cutan Med Surg 2019 Mar/ Apr; 23(2): 223. PMID 30841733.
- Beach, RA. Case series of oral minoxidil for androgenetic and traction alopecia: Tolerability & the five C’s of oral therapy. Dermatol Ther 2018, Epub 2018 Sep 24. PMID: 30246901.
- Poon, S. Beach RA. Localised hypopigmentation: clarification of a diagnostic conundrum. Br J Gen Practice 2018 Sep;68(674):444-445. PMID: 30166398.
- Deeb M, Beach RA. A Case of Topical Ruxolitinib Treatment Failure in Alopecia Areata. J Cutan Med Surg 2017; 21: 562-56. PMID: 28635319.
- Beach RA. Strategies to maximise teaching in your next ambulatory clinic. Clin Teach 2017; 14: 85-9. PMID: 28296220.
- Beach RA, Wilkinson KA, Gumedze F, Khumalo NP. Sebum Transforming Growth Factor β1 Induced by Hair Products. Arch Dermatol 2012; 148:764-6. PMID: 22710468.
- Beach RA, Wilkinson K, Gumedze F, Khumalo NP. Baseline Sebum IL-1α higher than expected in afro-textured hair: a risk factor for hair loss? J Cosmet Dermatol 2012; 11:9-16. PMID: 22360329.
- Beach RA, Zhang T, Goldberg L, Walker JD, Mamelak AJ. Tumor characteristics of Mohs surgery patients in Ottawa, Canada vs. Houston, Texas: a consequence of access to care? Dermatol Surg 2011; 37:1106-12. PMID: 21635629.
- Beach RA, Pratt MD. Chronic Actinic Dermatitis: clinical cases, diagnostic work-up and medical management. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery 2009; 13: 121-8. PMID: 19426619. Lead author.
- Beach RA, McQueen MJ, Wismer J. Novel management of isotretinoin-induced hypertriglyceridemia in an adolescent with severe acne. Clinical Pediatrics 2009; 48: 551-554. PMID: 19246414.
- Beach RA, Eva KW, Reiter HI. Can self-declared personal values be used to identify those with family medicine career aspirations? Advances in Health Sciences Education 2008; 13: 193-202. PMID: 17043916.
- Beach RA, Murphy F, Vender RB. Cutaneous Reaction to Drugs used for Erectile Dysfunction: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery 2006; 10: 128-130. PMID: 17241588.
PRESENTING & TEACHING
It is an honour to be invited to discuss ideas, innovations and treatment approaches with students, colleagues and industry partners. It is also a sign of being a leader in one’s field. Here is a sampling of the Presentations & Teaching Sessions Dr. Beach has provided
Undergraduate MD Lecturer. Cutaneous Infections: bacterial, viral, fungal. University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, Dermatology Week. Toronto, Ontario
Invited Lecturer. Facial Aesthetic products in patients with deeper skin tones. Skin Spectrum Summit, Toronto, Ontario.
Invited Speaker. Toronto Western Hospital Dermatology Journal Club. Managing Alopecia Patients: Tips for Dermatologists to Survive & for Patients to Thrive. Toronto, Ontario.
Invited Presenter. Scarring skin conditions: recognition and treatment of patients, 3rd annual Skin Spectrum Summit, Montreal, Canada.
Invited Lecturer. When we are the patient: Alopecia in the MD. 41th Annual Robert S. Lester Post-graduate dermatology seminar. Toronto, Ontario.
Selected Presenter. Oral minoxidil use in Androgenetic alopecia and traction alopecia & the 5 c’s of systemic therapy. 93rd Canadian Dermatology Association (CDA) Conference. Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Invited Presenter. Clinical pearls: diagnosis & treatment of your pigmented patients. 92nd Annual Canadian Dermatology Association Conference. Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada.